St. Johns River Trip - Latest Map Update



Click to view in a larger map. Click icons for more info

08 December, 2009

Salutations...


Hi friends and readers! This is Brandon and this just happens to be my first posting on the blog. I’ve been canoeing with the Riverbluff League for some years now, and it’s about time I stepped it up and started talking about why I ride the waters. Today I really just wanted to come on here and express the sheer excitement and anticipation I have for this upcoming trip. After witnessing one of my closest friends Daniel, cross the entire St. Johns in 9 days, and mostly by himself it got me to thinking… What are the limits of a person? Physically and mentally? Is it really possible that someone in the right shape and mind set can accomplish such a feat? None of the four of us going are Olympians by a long shot, but I believe we all possess the spirit of adventure and determination to do something as daunting as this. Just this summer I had arthroscopic surgery on my right shoulder and was pretty much incapacitated for over two months. Looking back, just the preparation for this canoe trip has made me a better person. Just a few months ago I could hardly lift the groceries, but through training and the help of my friends I feel like I can climb a mountain. My mind is sharp and these have been some of the best months of my life. That being said, this voyage is going to be easily the most difficult thing I have ever been crazy enough to see through. Canoeing might seem like fun recreation to many, but if you’ve been on the water for more than a day or two, you know what the risks are. Considering the time of the year and distance we’re traveling there’s plenty of time for the elements, hardships, accidents, and the fear of death. The benefits of completing such an adventure far outweigh the possible downsides though. No matter the cost, the experience to be completely immersed into nature, just me, the paddle, and the earth we come from, are alone tugging at my heart until the day we depart.

-Brandon

1 comment: